Docker configuration for Django+Vuejs+Gunicorn+Nginx lead to 502 Bad Gateway

amazon-ecs, amazon-web-services, django, docker, vue.js

Context

I’m developing an application that will have to be deployed once per customer (it’s not a multi-tenant app that all my customers would use).

Ultimately, it will be deployed on AWS with services like RDS (DB), S3 (storage) and ECS (container service).

You can see how I imagined it with the image below if it can help to answer me:

enter image description here

My application is working well locally without Docker.

But I want to use a dockerized version of it locally before trying to deploy it on AWS, because I want to be able to run it locally with Docker before trying to do it on AWS (…).

Since all my customers would have their own instance (and customer1 could have a different version than customer2 at some time), I thought about a single container with everything needed, as you can see on the image : the Django application, the Vue built files, gunicorn and nginx.

Question 1 : Is it a good idea to do it like this ? Or should I use a docker-compose thing with multiple services (backend (django) & nginx). Would it lead to multiple containers ?

Problem

RUN ["chmod", "+x", "/backend/docker-entrypoint.sh"]
RUN rm -rf /etc/nginx/sites-available/default
RUN rm -rf /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default
COPY ./nginx/nginx.config /etc/nginx/sites-available/
RUN ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/nginx.config /etc/nginx/sites-enabled

ENTRYPOINT ["bash", "/backend/docker-entrypoint.sh"]

This leads to a container with following structure :

ls -al

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Oct 21 14:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Oct 22 08:56 ..
drwxrwxr-x 1 root root 4096 Oct 22 08:56 backend
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root  552 Oct 21 14:20 docker-entrypoint.sh
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root  638 Oct  5 12:37 manage.py
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  115 Oct  5 10:05 requirements.txt
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Oct 21 14:09 static

where the static folder has :

ls -al static

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Oct 21 14:09 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Oct 21 14:21 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 18 14:47 css
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 18 14:47 fonts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  773 Oct 18 14:47 index.html
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 18 14:47 js

I have a nginx config like this :

upstream app_server {

proxy_pass http://app_server;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
        proxy_redirect off;

}
}

Question 2 : I use a gunicorn.sock thing. When I do not, and use something like 0.0.0.0:8000 or whatever, I usually can’t even reach nginx, it reaches gunicorn directly, don’t know why…

My Docker-compose is like so :

version: "3.8"
services:
  web:
    network_mode: host
    env_file:
      - local.env
    build: .
    ports:
      - "8000:8000"

my local.env file has env variables such as :

DB_HOST=127.0.0.1
DB_NAME=db_name
DB_PASSWORD=db_password
DB_PORT=5432
DB_USER=db_user
SECRET_KEY=some_django_secret_key

and finally my entrypoint is :

#!/bin/bash

gunicorn ${DJANGO_WSGI_MODULE}:application
    --workers 3
    --bind=unix:$SOCK_FILE
    --log-file=-

To start it all, I do :

docker-compose -f ./docker-compose-dev.yml up

which builds everything correctly and gunicorn starts :

web_1  | [2021-10-22 09:06:50 +0000] [53] [INFO] Starting gunicorn 20.0.4
web_1  | [2021-10-22 09:06:50 +0000] [53] [INFO] Listening at: unix:gunicorn.sock (53)
web_1  | [2021-10-22 09:06:50 +0000] [53] [INFO] Using worker: sync
web_1  | [2021-10-22 09:06:50 +0000] [55] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 55
web_1  | [2021-10-22 09:06:50 +0000] [56] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 56
web_1  | [2021-10-22 09:06:50 +0000] [57] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 57

But, I can’t get anything except a 502 Bad Gateway from nginx when trying to reach 127.0.0.1 in my browser:

enter image description here

and I can’t figure out why. I guess it must be a confusion of some sort from me..

Question 3 : Can you help me figure out what is the error in my configuration or giving me some guidance on how to configure such a deployment (for local here, not AWS), or some guidance on how to find the source of the error ?

In advance thank you for reading. I’m really bad at those devOps things and any help will be appreciated.

Source: Docker Questions